Thursday, April 3, 2014

She Meditates on Truth.

Psst...did you see the post about my new blog name?!?

It's She Shares Truth day! Click here to find more posts from 
She Reads Truth readers. I'll also be posting some of my favorites again! 




The series on Jonah ended last week, and we've moved on to a focus on meditation and confession.
The assignment for the week was to write about Joshua 1:8-9.

I ended up getting a little off the beaten track with this week's assignment, but I'll still talk a little about Joshua 1:8:
There is a particular word that stands out to me in this verse that has been on my mind:

Meditate. 

Meditation is one of those words that I feel like you could ask ten different people what it means and get ten different answers. It's a broad term.

So, what does it actually mean to meditate? 

According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary (and shared in this She Reads Truth post) it means:
“to engage in contemplation or reflection; to focus one’s thoughts on: reflect on or ponder over”

 Basically, one could mediate on anything, since it essentially means to think very hard about something. 

The kind of meditation I want to do is that which is mentioned in the book of Joshua. Biblical, scriptural meditation. I want to desire to read the Bible with thoughtfulness and linger over God's Word. To meditate on truth alone.

     I have been challenged this week to do just that: to practice meditating on God's Word. 

It does (for me at least) take a whole lot of practice to naturally meditate on scripture. To help, I am trying to start memorizing a new verse each week. This week, I've started with one of my favorite verses in the book of Psalms:


This verse needs to be my prayer each and every morning when I wake up. Oh, what a rich piece of scripture!

Would you like to join me in memorizing Psalm 19:14? Feel free to use the verse picture to save as your phone screen saver! That works as a great reminder for me to practice the verse throughout the day. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, there are so many different ideas on what it means to meditate. I think that is why I have never really known how to approach it because it means something different to every person you ask! Thanks for delving in deeper to what meditation means. I think memorizing Scripture is a wonderful way to becoming more engaged in the word. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete